Nature of Job
The job of a Construction Worker
The Construction Worker is a laborer who is employed in the construction industry and is visible in all the construction sites. He is the one who is directly engaged in the practical tasks involved in construction of a structure. The term Construction Worker can be used for all occupations that are directly involved with the construction work and this can include occupations like carpenters, plumbers, electricians, bricklayers, equipment operatives, painters, plasterers, decorators and pipe fitters in addition to just the laborers or masons. The existence of a Construction Worker is instrumental for the termination of the construction work and hence is of huge importance.
For furthermore understanding of their job, the duties and responsibilities performed by a Construction Worker have been summated and presented as the Construction Worker Job Description given below.
- To reach the construction site well in time to start the work there.
- One responsibility on the shoulders of the Construction Worker is to load and unload equipment and materials for construction.
- Raising up and bringing down the Scaffoldings.
- To free the working area from any hindrance or dirt.
- To mix the materials needed for construction so as to get the right consistency.
- Working in close coordination with masons and other skilled workers.
- Preparing the forms and areas where the concrete has to be poured.
- Getting involved in all the tasks of hard labor which are indispensable to the completion of the construction project.
- Putting up various systems that may be needed according to the kind of need such as commercial, industrial or residential.
- Going through the regulations and policies to make sure that all the provisions pertaining to the construction have been followed and to set the building regulations.
- Taking proper care of the tools that are used on the site of construction.
- Supervising and training the new Construction Workers.
- Handling lifts and hoists, cranes and like equipment to mobilize the construction material towards the place where it is needed
- Laboring at altitudes, enclosed spaces.
These are the most general tasks handled by the Construction Workers.
The credentials and Skills needed
There is no clear cut path mentioned for the construction workers with respect to the education required. However the following points would throw some light on the most fundamental prerequisites to be a Construction Worker.
See here: Construction Management degrees
- Though there is no entry level training or educational requirement chalked out for a Construction Worker, but it is important that the Construction Worker holds a high school diploma at least. This could help the aspirant prepare on various related important aspects which are related to construction work like mechanical drawing, blue print interpreting and welding etc.
- The workers can attain on the job training once they are through with the high school diploma. The Construction Workers who are entrusted with dangerous or hazardous tasks are given training on dealing with such tasks before being assigned such a work.
- Some Construction Workers may also receive a more sophisticated and formal training ranging for 2 to 4 years. This could be made available by the employer on the job and is called the apprenticeship training. The minimum age to be eligible for such trainings is 18 years.
- Later on certification in specialized work areas like welding, painting etc can be attained.
Skills and Abilities needed
- The Construction Worker should be physically able, as he may need to work continuously for long hours in a day.
- Must exercise extreme care when furthering his work to avoid any mishaps
- Must be efficient and quick with the use of his hands dexterity.
- Must keep up with the latest innovations that could enable him to finish a task sooner than manually.
- He should have good tolerance.
- The Construction Worker must be able to communicate well to make sure that the right instructions reach the right destination at the right time.
- The Construction Worker should be a great team worker and be able to take the team ahead with him.
The possessor of the aforesaid educational and personal dexterity becomes a perfect Construction Worker material.
Future Career Path
The Construction Workers were holding about 1.2 million jobs in 2008 and the employment numbers are going to go sky-high by a good 20% within a period of 10 years starting from 2008 to 2018.
The increased infrastructural developments necessitated by the Government will a very prominent reason for the said escalation. And also the rise in the demand for structures and buildings from the commercial sector and more housing purposes will give a good fillip to the demand of the Construction Workers.
The prospects for the Construction Workers who possess a rare skill will be good and same would be the case for the Construction Workers who are ready to relocate for growth in their careers. Opportunities for workers who are involved with the road construction work will multiply hugely. The prospects to rise as a Construction Worker are really good but dependent on the extent of skills he possesses.