Associate degrees are college degrees awarded to students after they earn enough credit. Associate degrees usually take around 2 years to complete, depending on the college or university attended.
Associate degrees prepare graduates to go on to a career after graduation or to earn a bachelor’s degree. Associate degrees can be earned at the university level or at a junior college level. Many students choose to earn their associate degree at a junior college and then transfer their credits to a university or college to pursue their bachelor’s degrees.
In This Article
What are the Advantages to Earning Associate Degrees?
• Associate degrees can be completed in around two years.
• Many professional and higher-paying jobs require that candidates have a minimum of an associate degree in a specialized field to be considered for employment.
• Associate degrees are less expensive than bachelor’s degrees.
• Associate degrees allow you to move on to earn a bachelor’s degree later.
General Categories of Associate Degrees
1. An Associate of Arts degree is awarded to students with a major in the social sciences or humanities, or to those students who have not yet declared an area of concentration. These students usually intend on pursuing a bachelor’s degree after graduation.
2. An Associate of Science degree is awarded to students who have declared an area of concentration in mathematics, natural sciences, or technology.
3. An Associate of Applied Science degree is usually awarded to students who intend to enter the workforce upon graduation. This degree program is a more general area of study.
- Location - Houston, TX, US 77092
The College of Health Care Professions is a Texas-based career education school founded by physicians in the Texas Medical Center solely specializing in healthcare education and dedicated to provid... Read MoreProgramsCoding and Revenue Cycle Management - AAS DegreeHealth Care Management - AAS Degree
- Location - Tallahassee, FL, US 32309
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-ce...ProgramsOccupational Therapy Assistant, ASParalegal Studies, AARadiologic Technology, ASMedical Administrative Billing and Coding, ASNursing, ASNExercise and Sport Science, ASCriminal Justice, AS - Law EnforcementInformation Technology, ASHospitality, AAMedical Assisting, AS
- Location - Tampa, FL, US 33612
Change your life!UMA will be here every step of the way.Ultimate Medical Academy is a nonprofit healthcare career school committed to helping you succeed. We offer flexible online courses to prepare y... Read MoreProgramsA.S. Medical Billing & CodingA.S. Health Sciences - Pharmacy TechnicianA.S. Healthcare Accounting
- Location - Sparks, NV, US 89434
Invest in Your Life with CCNN Career College of Northern Nevada will equip you with the training you need to succeed. Do you want to complete your diploma or degree program quickly? If so, CCNN... Read MoreProgramsInformation Technology SpecialistIndustrial Electronics TechnologyFacility Maintenance Technician