A flight attendant works in the airline industry. The plane on which they work can be private or government-owned and operated. And for some, it is compulsory for the airline to have an air hostess in order to assist the passengers and provide them the best facility and safety. Want to know how to become a flight attendant?
Flight attendants ensure passengers understand safety requirements, take care of ill patients, and serve food and drinks to passengers. Flight attendants will able to do that task if she has customer service skills and knowledge about the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) flight rules and regulations.
What Does a Flight Attendant Do?
Following are the roles and responsibilities of flight attendant job description:
- There are some of the basic roles and responsibilities of every flight attendant and the rest is depending upon the designation and depend upon duty.
- Flight attendants are responsible to make aware the passengers of the safety rules and regulations.
- Before the passengers enter the flight it is the responsibility of the flight attendant to give briefs about the plan and duties to the passengers and to the pilot.
- The brief of the roles and duty to the pilot make the pilot comfortable to coordinate with the crew and get the information regarding the weather condition.
- Flight attendants check the emergency equipment which includes first aid kits and working hours to the other staff member.
- To check the quality and quantity of the beverage, blanket, and pillow is the duty of the flight attendant.
- To check the tickets of the passengers and explain the boarding plan to the passengers.
- Flight attendants help the passengers in finding the seats and stow their carry bags.
- Make customers aware of how to use the seat belts and how to sit at the time of take-off of the fight
- It is the responsibility of the flight attendant to convey the message regarding the safety measure, weather condition, and board, provide refreshments and books for reading, and many more.
- To take care of the Working Conditions within the flight and to maintain the hygienic of the eatable items.
Flight Attendant Salary
How much does a flight attendant make? According to Salary.com, the average Flight Attendant salary in the United States is $78,425 as of July 28, 2021, but the range typically falls between $62,944 and $97,226.
How Long Does it Take to Become a Flight Attendant?
Flight attendant jobs are in high demand. It can be quite challenging and take a while.
It can take between 3-6 months to get through the hiring process with a given airline. This is mainly due to a process that puts your resume through a lot of scrutinies and a role that is highly competitive. In fact, it is estimated that there are over 1,000,000 applications for a mere 5-10,000 jobs.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- You have to be able to stand and walk for long periods of time.
- Visible tattoos or more than one earring piercing per ear are not allowed.
- You must pass a pre-employment drug screen and criminal background check.
- Do you have, or are you able to get, a United States passport?
- Must have a high school diploma or GED.
These are general guidelines so keep in mind that every airline has different requirements.
What Does it Take to Become an Flight Attendant?
- The main criteria to be a flight attendant are that they are over 21 years of age and eyesight should be normal.
- The flight attendant should have a good command of English and if international the other language is compulsory.
- A valid passport.
- The flight attendant should have passed the higher secondary school.
- The certificate of training from any recognized Institute at least for 6 months that is a diploma or it can extend to 1 year depends upon the caliber of the student.
- It is compulsory for the flight attendant to have a high school diploma and a college diploma or degree is more preferable.
- Give more preference at the time of interview those who have a certificate of training in flight attendant and customer service.
- Certificate in tourism and psychology and communications will get the preference and if in case the flight attendant has to attend the international passenger then it is compulsory for them to be fluent in that particular language.
- Some of the flights first give training to its fresher staff and then after certification make them allow dealing with the real situation.
The basic skills that any flight attendant should have are:
- Age should be greater than 21 years old
- Should know how to swim.
- Should have good eyesight.
- Good command of English and other languages in the case of international.
- Passport should be valid all over the world.
- Flight attendants should be Punctual and should be dedicated to their job.
- Should have the skill, how to work in a team
- Flight attendants should have a calm and polite nature.
- Should be physically fit
- The Pitch of the voice should be clear which should be understandable to all the passengers.
- Should have flexible nature because of the working hour.
Those who have a hobby of traveling are one of the best professions for them. This is one of the well-paid and demanding and respectful careers and the main thing in this profession is glamour and the air hostess gets a good amount of salary.
This profession also gives the opportunity to fly to new destinations.
The training institute of a flight attendant is booming and enhancing with the passage of time so one can get the job in the different institutes and can get a good amount of salary.
The salary of a flight attendant can also increase with the increase in inexperience.